Migration of PMI Data During Exchange of CAD Data
by CADVision Team | August 21, 2020
About the Client
The client is part of a transnational group and is one of the most preferred engineering suppliers in the aerospace sector. They provide solutions in the field of Avionics, Data Networks, Flight Data Systems, Safety Systems, etc. The client is constantly expanding their range of solutions both organically by investing in R&D and inorganically by acquiring other companies with complementary solution offerings.
Product and Manufacturing Information (PMI) is very important for manufacturing product companies and assembly units. PMI is created in the 3D model and is a step towards Model-Based Design (MBD) to allow the elimination of 2D drawings and detailing for manufacturing. PMI data includes geometric dimensions, tolerances, annotations, materials details, etc. The client had adopted MBD process and have started maintaining the PMI data in their 3D model. Recently, our client had acquired another company with aerospace engineering capabilities and uses SolidEdge as their CAD Software. As part of adopting the MBD process for their existing data, they required the migration of the SolidEdge data into the other CAD systems and create the PMI data as well.
- Using the neutral format for migration doesn’t create the PMI data in 3D
- The client requires that the data be converted into multiple CAD systems
- Mapping of PMI features as different CAD systems have different notions of PMI views
- Capturing the camera/view position used for creating annotation and using it to create an annotation in target CAD
- The project was taken in a phased manner with one target CAD system at a time
- 2D features like dimensions, 3D Annotations, Notes, etc. were listed out and corresponding target CAD system 3D features were mapped
- The desktop-based application was developed for converting the files along with auto-creation of PMI data
- This application make use of both SolidEdge and target CAD API framework. Hence, it is required that SolidEdge and the target system both are installed on the system
- The application runs in two steps:
- Conversion of SolidEdge data in STP file and extraction of required 2D data into an external file (XLS, XML, etc.)
- a.Import of STP file and saving in target CAD format. Import of the 2D data from external file (XLS, XML, etc.) as PMI features.
- A detailed log file is also generated and any failure in the conversion of files or creation of PMI data is clearly reported.
- 80% reduction in time when compared to manual creation of PMI data in the target CAD system
- The CAD system is launched in the hidden mode which means better performance and faster conversion
- The application can run on multiple files in batch mode without any human intervention at a time, thus allowing the user to run this process outside office hours
- One application can be used for conversion of data into multiple CAD systems
Note: Solid Edge is a trademark or registered trademark of Siemens Product Lifecycle Management Software Inc.